EKP61 Language Society and Education
Module code: EKP61
ECTS Credit Points: 22
Module Type: Optional
Year: 1st or 2nd
Module general description:
Learning Outcomes: On successful completion of the unit, students will be able to,
- View language analysis from different perspectives: structuralist and generative linguistics, sociolinguistics, ethnography and critical discourse analysis.
- Understand the nature of oral and written language and how they differ to each other and be able to view the notion of "text" from a modern and wider perspective.
- Know the social, cultural and political processes that govern language use by native and non-native speakers.
- Gain an understanding of the theoretical ideas and educational applications of the notion of "literacy", drawing particularly on multilingual and multicultural environments.
- Apply all acquired knowledge to language teaching and learning.
- Carry out theoretical and/or empirical research in issues regarding language and its relation to society and education, by combining theory with practice.
- Critically evaluate ideas and practices regarding language and its relation to society and education.
- Apply advanced skills in academic writing and qualitative research methods.
A modern approach to the use of oral and written language within the contexts of educational practice and policy
Learning Material: The HOU publications can be viewed here.
Teaching Method: Distance education with five Contact Sessions held at weekends during the academic year
Evaluation: Completion of four written assignments during the academic year, the average grade of which constitute a 30 percent of each student's grade, if a pass is obtained in the final or repetitive examination. Final exam grades constitute a 70 percent of the students' final course grade. More information is available here.
|<< Επιστροφή||↑Αρχή σελίδας|